Battery charging question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steen

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi  :) I have a 2010 BMW R1200GSA. I left my ignition on for a whole day (chop!) and obviously drained the battery completely. I went to Beamer and bought an Italian brand intelligent charger called Battery Controller Junior for less than R400 and plugged it in here at the office. I believe the battery is an AGM type battery and was recommended this charger as it is an intelligent 8 stage charger . After a full 24 hours I tried starting the bike and only got a turn or two with very ugly sounds. I also got the EWS message flashing on my bike computer readout. I guess I should have read the manual and then checked the blinking lights on the charger first before trying to start the bike. I called Beamer and they said it can take as long as two days to fully charge and that the sounds I heard was just because there was not enough charge in the battery to turn over the motor.........makes sense. Anyway, left bike to charge again for at least another 30 hours and I saw the the lights on the charger were now showing the battery was being charged in the maintenance mode meaning the battery is ready to go!! Disconnected everything and turned her over. All good; let her run for a few minutes, and then noticed a sour pungent smell........there was also initially a little smoke or visible vapor coming from the battery area (couldn't identify where it was coming from). I switched off and let her cool for an hour before firing her up again. This time couldn't see any smoke/vapor but the pungent smell was still  around although a little milder. The question..........is the smell simply some kind of charging residue that is burning off? Is it perhaps just some overflow that is released during charger through an overflow? Or is it something I should worry about and get it to Beamer for a check-up? Would appreciate some comments and/or advise  :thumleft: Many thanks, Steen