Bike not idling, sometimes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxkid

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi Guys

My F650GS (2002 model) has about 48k on the clock and for a while now, its been behaving funny.

On every trip that I go, when the going gets tough, and I hit a bad patch of zinkplaat, or a big hole, my revs drop. Its as if my bike dies. I then close the throttle and immediately after open up again and then the bike runs again. This all happens in a couple of seconds without stopping. After that incident, it doesn't want to idle any more. If you close the throttle, she dies. Starts up just fine, but you have to play with the throttle to keep her going. If I then turn the ignition off and back on, its as if shes reset and runs fine again - no idling problems, nothing.

Funny thing is, this only happens once on every trip. So I can't even tell a mechanic to go for a ride and see what she does, because she's fine on tar and out of 500 to 1000km trip, it only happens once.

At first I thought it was the battery, but I have a new one in now and the problem persists. ???

Now I must be honest, the last 2 services I have done myself and I am not what you would call "tegnies aangele". So for the last 2 services I only changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and sparkplug...
No checking of valve clearance, still running the original petrol filter, etc. etc.

Any advice?