Biker down Oudtshoorn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailrider

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
On our way back to George today we happened onto a motorcycle accident. An (allegedly drunk) pedestrian ran across the road and was hit by a rider on a NXR125 on his way to his girlfriend.

We were second on the scene and stopped to help. The rider had a biker jacket but no other gear :-\ Plakkies and shorts... His helmet was not fastened and flew off on impact. He hit the tar face first and bike ended up on top of him burning his legs and feet.

I had my medikit and a paramedic and a sister (his mom) stopped and did some first aid. When his parents arrived I was heartbroken. I pray I never have to arrive to see my son like that. He was lying in the road with his face in a pool of blood. The worst is that almost all his injuries could have been prevented if he wore all the gear and fastened his helmet. I estimate he hit the pedestrian at approx 110km/h. It was a straight open road with good visibility.

The ambulances took a while to arrive but eventually 7 arrived and did a very good job. The pedestrian was apparently even more seriously injured. He was lying some ways off the road in the grass but did not have apparent injuries. We did not move him.

The motorcyclist was taken to a private hospital and I have his mom's nr. I'll phone later to hear how he's doing.

Today is his birthday. He turned 18.

ATGATT

All the gear, all the time!!!