BMW GS warped brake rotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandyMan_ZA

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Dear WD's, I need your opinion on this matter and maybe some advice or your experience, this is a matter that really upsets me. Please note the context of this issue, besides the fact that the replacement rotor (aka disk) is horrendously expensive or that the motorcycle is outside of warrantee and it missed its annual service this issue is about the quality and reliability of the product. See below, I have left the entire thread intact in the interest of complete transparency. (read frm the bottom up). Note that this seems to be a regular experience from other BMW GS riders, just Google something like “BMW GS brake disk warp” and you’ll see what I mean. This is the 3rd time I have personally experienced warped brake rotors on a BMW motorcycle I have owned, the previous 2 occasions the rotor was replaced under warrantee.

Quoted from: https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/services_main.html&notrack=1
"BMW Motorrad stands for high-quality products with innovative technology and a high level of reliability"

Hopefully by going public on this matter BMW Motorrad will understand the passion us BMW motorcycle owners have for their products and they will respond with our interest and safety in mind.

Kevin
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
R1200GS-WP

Sent: 25 April 2011 06:50 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
Subject: RE: BMW Xcountry warped front brake disk

Dear Mr. Momos

In the interest of complete transparency I am sharing my correspondence with BMW Motorrad Direct with you. I would also like to use this opportunity to inform you that I belong to several motorcycle clubs as well as subscribe to many forums, specifically BMW clubs and BMW forums, I have discussed this issue with them and have absolute 100% consensus that BMW are being unreasonable on this issue. Many have questioned the safety aspect of marketing such poor quality brakes.

I am not the only BMW GS owner that has experienced this issue, just Google something like “BMW GS brake disk warp” and you’ll see what I mean.

Quoted from: https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=https://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/services/services_main.html&notrack=1

"BMW Motorrad stands for high-quality products with innovative technology and a high level of reliability"

I would like to see BMW Motorrad live up to this claim.

Should I not get a satisfactory response from BMW Motorrad Direct I will provide the media with a copy of this conversation.

Thank you
Kevin van Blerk

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 21 April 2011 01:35 PM
To: Kevin Van Blerk - MWEB
Subject: BMW Motorrad Direct

Dear Mr van Blerk,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate your efforts to direct your request to us.

We have forwarded your e-mail to the relevant department for further assessment. You
will be contacted as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
BMW Motorrad Direct

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 19 April 2011 01:48 PM

Dear BMW Customer Service

I would like to bring the following to your attention. I have owned several BMW motorcycles over the years and despite experiencing several quality issues most were remedied under recalls or replaced under warrantee, something I expect from BMW. More recently I have purchased a 2008 G650 XCountry for my son. Last year June I purchased this motorcycle at less than 3000kms privately and now have it in for it’s 10 000km service. Unfortunately the previous owner missed the annual service nonetheless the issue I have is of the quality of the product that a regular service would have no effect on.

When I collected the motorcycle from my local BMW Service Centre in South Africa on the 15th of April I soon realized the motorcycle was too dangerous to ride and returned it immediately. The front brake disk was warped badly causing the brakes to grab. When trying to locate a replacement disk I soon discovered many other owners with the same complaint. Some even experienced this with the replacement disk as well. Surely BMW can not accept this as a quality product? I have owned other motorcycles over the years, I ride with several clubs with other riders with other motorcycles and we have never experienced this on these motorcycles. This is the third issue I have experienced with BMW brake disks that warp, the previous two were fortunately remedied under warrantee.

I tried to bring this to the attention of BMW SA but as you can see below they are not prepared to assist me.

This issue is not about the cost of the product, it is about the quality of the product, I own BMW products because I want to trust the quality of the product. This is no longer however the case.

I look forward to your prompt response on this matter.

Thank you
Kevin van Blerk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: 19 April 2011 01:17 PM
Cc: [email protected]

Dear Mr. Momos

Thank you for your time and consideration on this matter. The matter I have however raised is the fact that I would have expected better quality from BMW, a brake disk that warps within 10 000km, in my opinion this has nothing to do with the fact that the annual service was carried out or not, this is not what I expect from a quality product from BMW. This is not the first time this has happened. I find it extremely unfair to expect me pay for a new disk with the likelihood that the new disk will also fail in less than 10 000kms.

I will take the matter further with BMW AG.

Thank you
Kevin van Blerk

Sent: 19 April 2011 12:28 PM
Cc: [email protected]

Dear Mr Van Blerk

I have reviewed your case and the result as follows:

1.      The warranty on your motorcycle  expired in March 2010.
2.      The service records are incomplete, i.e. annual services were not carried out as required.

Based on the above, unfortunately your request for assistance has been declined.

Kind regards
BMW ( South Africa ) (Pty) Ltd
Mr Steli Momos
National After Sales Manager - BMW Motorrad
Url:  https://www.bmw.co.za/
-----------------------------------------------------
Registration number 1960/000196/07
This e-mail and its contents are subject to the BMW ( South Africa )(Pty) Ltd
Email Legal notice and information available at
https://www.bmw.co.za/legal/directorsnotice.asp

Directors: F-P Arndt*(Chairman), B Donauer* (Managing), U-B Sanne*(Finance & Human Resources),
J Ginglseder*(Technical & Logistics), Dr JP Fegbeutel*(Legal Services),
W Luhabe (Non-Executive), MS Phalatse(Non-Executive)
*(German)

Sent: 18 April 2011 04:56 PM
To: Momos Steli, ZA-X-10

Thank you.

Sent: 18 April 2011 12:32 PM

Dear Mr Van Blerk

Thank you for the correspondence, I will respond in due course.

Kind regards

BMW ( South Africa ) (Pty) Ltd
Mr Steli Momos
National After Sales Manager - BMW Motorrad
Dept Code: ZA-X-10
P.O Box 2955 ,  Pretoria 0001
Phone: +27-12-522-2025
Fax: +27-86-678-0573
mailto: [email protected]
Url:  https://www.bmw.co.za/
Registration number 1960/000196/07
This e-mail and its contents are subject to the BMW ( South Africa )(Pty) Ltd
Email Legal notice and information available at
https://www.bmw.co.za/legal/directorsnotice.asp

Directors: F-P Arndt*(Chairman), B Donauer* (Managing), U-B Sanne*(Finance & Human Resources),
J Ginglseder*(Technical & Logistics), Dr JP Fegbeutel*(Legal Services),
W Luhabe (Non-Executive), MS Phalatse(Non-Executive)
*(German)

Sent: 18 April 2011 09:24 AM
To: Momos Steli, ZA-X-10
Subject: BMW Xcountry warped front brake disk

Dear Mr. Steli Momos

As discussed, thank you for the opportunity of speaking directly with you. My son’s 2008 XCountry is currently at Hamman Motorrad in Bellville Cape Town for it’s 10 000km service. On collecting the motorcycle there was a note on the job card that there was a “shudder from the front brake disk”. I left my bike with them while I took my son’s bike home to pick him up and return to collect my bike. I soon realized the extremely dangerous situation I am in with the effect of a warped front disk, the front suspension would dive about 1 to 2 inches when braking. If my son attempted to use the front brakes going around a corner on a wet road or on a gravel road surface there is a big chance he would lose control of his motorcycle.

The reason I am so unhappy about this is this is the 3rd time I have experienced this from BMW. My first F650 had the exact same problem, the front brake disk was replaced under warrantee. My first R1200GS has a similar problem on the rear brake disk, this was also replaced under warrantee.

Now that my son’s bike is outside of warrantee with less than 10 000km’s it has a warped disk, and to top it this is a known problem, the Internet has many forums where other owners are/have also experienced this. Even when they replaced their front disks it just happened again in less than 10 000km’s. This is unacceptable.

I appreciate your time in investigating this matter and your prompt response will be appreciated. My son and I are going on a 24 day tour of Namibia in May, we leave Cape Town on the 1st of May and return on the 24th. I need to have his bike sorted by then. There is a disk available in JHB but at R3600 for a disk that is likely to warp again is ridiculous.

I have asked Hamman Motorrad to return the old disk to me as I intend to post it to Germany with a letter from my lawyer.

Thank you
Kevin van Blerk