BMW Navigator V - loading new maps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platbrak

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Vespa (all models)
Dear Experts,

I will soon be relocating from France to South Africa and was hoping you could help me with a question I have:

My GPS is loaded with Europe maps and updates etc are geographically ring fenced.  On a visit to SA I enquired at Cape Union Mart who said that you can buy the SA maps on a memory card and load them to your GPS.  It sounds easy enough but what I need to know is whether you can just stick the memory card into your GPS and off you go, or do you need a computer with, say Basecamp, to activate things?

Has anybody done this type of thing before who would be willing to share info? In essence, the GPS will change region and I want to be able to use it as soon as possible.  I have Basecamp on a computer but it would take about 6 weeks for my goods to arrive.

The GPS came pre-loaded and without a memory card.  I later added a memory card because the Europe maps were huge files and filled more than the capacity of the GPS.  But I have no idea how you should deal with new cards.

Can anybody please give some guidance?

Kind regards.