BMW R100RS Restore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
So I have had a 1981 BMW R100RS that has been sitting for sitting some time and gathering dust and muck. It was last running in 2010 when I rode it home with a nasty knock on the engine.  After that it was parked and left - funds etc.  But now it has been cluttering my yard and annoying me by just sitting there.  We took it off to Tony Lammers to see what could be done where we discovered that there was a nasty scoring on the left hand cylinder and piston.  Tony gave us an idea of what to do and hence me looking for a new set of pistons and barrels.  Got an almost complete engine - with some extras and the money ended.  Much to my annoyance.  But it has been on my mind for some time.....  Not helped much by reading the forum and seeing what can be done.  

My brother and myself decided end of last year to get it running and roadworthy again - but there are numerous things wrong which include:

LH engine barrel marked and scored
Piston marked and scored
Front brake leaking at handlebars
Rusting frame - just surface rust
Engine and gearbox need work to ensure 100% serviceable daily runner
Plenty of perished seals and rubbers
Shocks leaking

In order for it to be licensed it needs to look at least semi presentable.  So at least there is a painting is in order, fairing and frame.  Rust off some areas and fixed to look nice and presentable.  

Want to get it to be a reliable daily runner.  Plenty of sentimental value. realise that this is taking a plunge but here goes.....

So in order to get it painted we need to strip it.  This is easy hey?  No its not.  Especially if you don't have a dedicated garage/work area.  But slowly, slowly, slowly.....

In the mean time, you get a pile of things to do and sort and fix and clean and paint and and and and and and.......   So you sit in front of TV and clean stuff.  Once it is clean you put it away in the other store room and marvel at the pile of goodies being cleaned.  Till you see the pile that still needs to be cleaned and sorted out:-(   But slowly the pile reduces and sucks money and time.....

Some other negative aspects are that you spend more than enough time at tool shops wondering if the Wife will notice if you spend X amount on a new set of sockets or this and that....    

But nonetheless work progresses slowly as you get time and energy.  
Some issues that I have encountered so far:

Wiring.  Work needed to ensure that it is complete and nice.  
Starter needs an overhaul.  Didn't start too easily last time and some smoke came out.....   Dunno if that was part of the deal with the engine/LH cylinder, but to be sure I will redo the starter.
Battery - need a new one.  Any suggestions apart from the OEM battery?
Front break master rebuild - fluid leaked out and stuffed certain things
Steering damper needs replacement.  Leaking.  Any suggestions?
Wanna redo the Gbox  to ensure all in order there - could have had some water in there:-(
Obviously get the engine in good nick
Redo the swingarm bearings
Universal joint on driveshaft feeling notchy on one axis.  Might need to replace it?  What needs to checked and how?
I took the final drive off.  When removing the oil there were some chips on the magnetic plug... And not the type you can eat.... Testing the drive it turns and then stops eek.  Not an amateurs job to rebuild/check as I understand.  This one I am seeing money wave goodbye.... and lots of.
Wheels need some work and respray.  Obviously some bearings to be changed
Steering head bearings to be replaced.  When removing the steering column, it was very tight.  Had to whack it with a hammer to get it out.  Top bearing was holding it in tightly.  Is this normal?
New clock
New petrol cap
Replace the screen
Front shocks need to be checked and maybe rebuilt.  Springs did not shoot the plugs out like what has been suggested by many and the Haynes manual.  Also seemed to have different lengths when decompressed....
Numerous strange looking rubbers that need replacement.  
New brake lines - old ones are a bit tired
New oil filter lines - old ones are a bit tired

As I type I see more and more and more that needs replacement.

I understood that this will not be cheap or easy, nothing is.  I realize that I will most probably never get my monies worth back from this either.  As such, I wanna try to keep it to less that 1000 zillion bucks, and all the receipts from my Wife.  

But one of the most satisfying aspects of what I am doing is that my sons join me and we spend time together.  Talking, wondering and being together.  PS3, tablets, cellphones, TV all forgotten.  Great to have them there with me.  Learning as I learn.  Even if I never get the bike fully functioning, I will have said that I spent the time well.

So most of the easy work is done.  Frame in the cars boot for a quote for respray and lets see what happens....  Now to begin the difficult work, remembering where everything went, and how it went on.  

As money and time allow, I will continue on doing what needs to be done.  In the mean time, there are some cupboards that need sorting out, a roof that needs attention, tiles need fixing, gardening, dishes, clothing to be washed, education to be done. So if there are some volunteers, you can take that, and I will continue with the bike :)

Some photies documenting the "action"....

Attachments

• IMG_1345.JPG
    IMG_1345.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 698
  • Going.jpg
    Going.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 696
  • Going2.jpg
    Going2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 707
  • Going3.jpg
    Going3.jpg