Body armour vs “Adventure” suit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
The time has come for me to sort out my riding gear into a package that, even though it will have to be a compromise, has to fulfill a few basic needs. Mostly weekend rides, maybe 5 days longest, ride tar to destination as neccesary…I dont commute.

1. Protection: at this stage I do alot of my rides solo, and I have to make this the primary function of my riding gear. Of course here one has to decide between impact protection and protection against abrasion (to a degree). My take on it is that I prefer to avoid serious injury in the event of an off, so rather some road rash than a ruptured kidney.

2. Comfort: here a simple rain jacket can keep you warm and dry in most conditions, so probably best to keep it coolish in our country.

3. Cost: Klim has nice gear, but I don’t have that kind of dosh laying around for a few trips a year. So cost-effective is my aim here, goedkoop koop is duur koop.

So my late night browsing and reading has led me to the following plan, and any advice would he appreciated👍

I have already dropped the multi-liner adventure pants in favour of MX-type pants, if its cold I will simply pop on some thermals underneat. Obviously these don’t have any impact protection, so I was thinking of the Leatt impact shorts/tights. Compromise here is when I take a long slide on tar it will leave a mark.
Also considering Leatt’s Dual axis knee guards underneath…never used them so not sure if it will be comfortable on a long trip.

Up top, the option is to stick to a textile jacket with the built-in protection, or go with something like the Leatt 3.5 suit/AS Bionic Action suit with a minimal textile jacket. Can dump the jacket for a MX shirt if really hot and not doing tar, thin wind/waterproof over when the heavens open.

Any wisdom will be appreciated🤟🏻