CAPE TO KILIMANJARO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J3THRO

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
Hi Dawgs

My best mate and I were always talking about riding up to the UK from Cape Town. He passed away in a motorcycle accident June 2012 in Norway before we ever got to do our dream tour. I am going to do kind of a memorial thing/road trip for Phil in 2014 so here goes:

I am planning a trip to Tanzania to climb Kilimanjaro to scatter Phil's ash June/July 2014. I want to go up from Cape Town - Namibia - Botswana - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Tanzania to Kilimanjaro and then back down on the coast through Mazambique. 
I am looking at 2 months max.  At the moment it looks like 3 weeks up, 1 week climbing and 2 - 3 weeks down.
If I have to, I can cut Namibia and Botswana out of my route, I just cant be bothered with driving up through inland SA while those options are there for the taking.
There is a wealth of knowledge on the forum so Im tapping into it. I promise to pay back with an awesome RR.
Any suggestions on routes ; what to avoid ; what not to avoid and places to stay would be appreciated.

I have done Namibia , Botswana and Mozambique before so I am familiar with the visas, but what about the other countries? Do I need to apply before leaving ,for visas, or is it all just visa on arrival + skin tax ?

I am only now starting to look at maps etc. There is a lot of mods I still want to make to the bike and my gear before this happens but I want to be prepared for this as good as possible as I will be doing it solo. (Any tag alongs are welcome offcoarse)

Any advice will be awesome.

Thanks.