Cape Town to Kibeho Rwanda on a Wee, what do I need..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monshall

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
Woke up this morning with a goal firmly in mind..Kibeho Rwanda.. I want to travel from Cape Town to Kibeho and the best/most fun way to get there will be on my Wee.  Am I crazy?  I know the Wee is a pig in mud and soft sand and it will be about a 13000km round trip, but the wee is brilliant on gravel, hard dirt and tar?  I cannot imagine doing it on anything else but the Wee... so can anyone help me with the following:

Getting the bike Ready, what I need to do: 
Full service just before I go with new brakepads, airfilter, chain, sprockets, etc.  What else?
Tyres:  Currently use trailwings need to ditch those for knoblies...which ones ?????  need long life, nice road going, but also good mud abilities.  Recommendations please???
Spares:  Sparkplugs, chain, sprockets, 2Xoilfilters, Airfilter... what else???
Tools:  Apart from what comes under the seat I need:/??  Compressor, tyre change kit, what else???
Seat:  Gel/Sheepskin what do you re comend???
Less is more:  I hate lots of stuff and believe less is more,  so no GPS, blah blah blah...OK maybe a 12v socket for charging phone, what is totally necessary and anyone got any good ideas for setting the bike up..putting stuff who where???  I am starting to believe that soft panniers are better than hard ones??? thoughts, suggestions.

Do you know of any good links on Wee storms through Africa??
Any good links to what are the bare essentials one needs to carry on a bike through Africa  (will be traveling South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda ...probably come back though Malawi and Mossie
Just starting to put things together so any ideas will be helpful.

Its so lekker to have a goal like this....To be done in 2014.

Thanks Guys