• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Confused: KTM 300 vs Yammie WR 450

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIEKIE

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Dear fello wDogs please help

I was seriously considering buying the KTM 300 XCW. No stock currently. Price about R80K. No dealer in Vereeniging.

Lunchtime I chatted to my faithfull Yammie dealer in Vereeniging who was keen on me buying the KTM (Ihave bought most of all bikes I owned from him) and he told me they got news yesterday that Yamaha has dropped the price on WR 450 (09) to R 68K as of 21 Sep 09. Previously R 76K. Now there is a R12K diffs in purchase price and I get a trade in.

I am used to the 450 (current bike RMZ 450 which he will trade and give me good price) and I love the smooth power delivery. Supose it is very forgiving to amateur riders. I have never ridden a 300 or any other 2 smoke for that matter. Short burst on a RM 250 once and was not impressed with the no power and then all of a sudden power burst.

I would like to enter maybe in regional racing next year.

Some advice or just your input would help.

Considering factors

1. R 12 000 saving
2. Dealer in my town. Not have to go to Jhb or Springs
3. Relationship with local dealer
4. 2 smoke vs 4 stroke power delivery

I suppose the KTM has some nice features like hidraulic clutch, best suspension etc

Help

Niekie