Cornering: going down low, is it guts, skills, tyres or insurance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowPoke

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
So at the risk of betraying myself as a timid road warrior I have a question. But first a qualifying statement, preceded by an acknowledgement.

I can stare in wonder at guys that can really ride! Hats off to you. Specially on gravel and perhaps my question has two answers one for gravel and one for tar. But let me ask the tar one and I'm sure some wise ass will get it mixed up in any case. So there is my acknowledgement - I do not consider myself a racing rider, I like "fast" but on my own terms, I like to play more than anything else.

So on my previous bike, 650GS, I could really play with it. Scraping pegs cornering around traffic circles became the norm, not the exception. Even caught my boot a few times. Well it is not hard to do, low bike, wide pegs. BUT I felt good cornering on it. Nice and toight, you know? Like toigers...

Now on the 800 my skill seemed to fail me completely. This is a tall bike. Now while I am not afraid to try things I end up doing the maths in my head and the repair costs mount up quickly - so I tend to be more timid. Now what am I on about? Simply put, how low can you go on your bike (opinions on 800's welcome)?

What determines how low you can lean into a corner? Yes tyres etc. the obvious ones. But I keep getting this irrational (I think) worry that if I lean to low the tyres will simply give up trying to hold on and I'll be in for a long slider.

How do I get over this mental thing? Don't get me wrong, I lean low (at least it feels like it) but I am still a long way off from scraping pegs on the 800. Am I just really kak at cornering or is there remedy for me?

I am asking not because I am a wannabee racer, but more in line of wanting to have all the fun I can off my steed.

And to the brand bashers and wise asses who are lining up some dumbass bmw comments - you will not add value to this thread.