Couldn't get past 2nd Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McSack

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Weirdest thing happened to me on a recent trip up through Magoebaskloof. Had just taken a quick detour into Tzaneen to pick up some refreshments I had run out of and was trying to get around one of those knobs in an old skatonka bakkie who was using the whole road like he owned it
So we pull up to one of the many robots in Tzaneen (I swear there must be more robots per capita in that town than any city or town in the whole world ... but that is another story) ... anyways I filter up next to the chop and check I'll have to gun it a bit to get ahead of him before the truck that is turning across the traffic that has edged halfway across the road.
Still in 1st... twist the Sten's ear ... change to 2nd ... gun it .... Scorch pipe screams at all the locals ... try to change up to 3rd .... gear lever jammed ... McSack on the tank when he releases clutch and guns it again expecting some acceleration .... try again ... same result ... pull over to the side of the road feeling like a poephol

Right so first thing I think is that I've seized the gearbox somehow, but I am able to change back down to 1st and then up to 2nd again , just not into 3rd. After some fiddling around with not much luck I decided to ride back into town and find some way to get the bike to a dealer.
Kit up, mount up and pull off only to find that the bike now finds 3rd ... WTF?. I turned around and headed back out only to have the same thing happen a few stops down the road. This time I gave the gear lever a bit of a skop with the back of my boot and it banged into 3rd and I continued on my merry way

Bike was all good for just about the rest of the trip. Same kuk occurred just before I got home, but resolved itself and hasn't happened since (this was new years weekend)

Any idea what it might be?
Worth taking to dealership for a checkup? I'm really not keen to pay for them to strip the whole gearbox out only to tell me the bike was just a bit low on oil or some such kuk. Also not keen on the thing blowing up on me in the middle of nowhere