Custom V-Strom: Adventure Style

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blauth

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I was asked to create a new post on this forum about a project that I am busy with so, here it is.

Now before all the youhoo's out there shoot everything down because they know everything about everything, understand the objective of this project. It is NOT intended to be a rallye bike. It is merely supposed to be a cool bike to do mileage on with a few less bad characteristics of the stock machine and of course with a bit of attitude;

Summary of modifications:
- Bought the bike with no wheels and it had just been dropped on the side so no major damage. Fairings are all still ok appart from 1 side fairing. The original fairings are for sale for a rebuild.
- Extended fork stantion by 100mm (Custom Worx)
- Manufactured a sleave to slip over and clamp the stantion to reinforce the extention joint on the fork stantion. Sleave to act as mounting points for front stuff as well. (Custom Worx)
- Picked up a cloned HP2 (Touratech) carbon fibre fairing that has been extended upwards.
- Lights are 55w spots from Autostyle (R300.00) for both so we will still see how well they work. Plan on fitting two additional spots on either side of the tank. Just fitted some 85w spots this weekend but I am a little worried about the ability of the stator to supply enough power. Will see.
- Shortened rear suspension links to get about 60mm extra height from back suspension. This effectively increases the rake so handling will be slightly less responsive but more sure footed on dirt.
- BMW GS1200 laced 19" front wheel (Custom bushes and bearings) - Custom Worx.
- Honda Transalp 17" back wheel (Custom bushes and bearings) - Custom Worx.
- 260mm back disk (Bike Hospital) with spacer to fit it to the hub - Custom Worx.
- Had to extend side stand.
- Custom wide offroad pegs.
- Trailtech taper bars.
- Handlebar risers.
- Vectra wrap arounds.
- SW Motech crash bars.
- TKC80 tyres.

Still to do:
- Connect all wiring
- Mount Trailtech digital dashboard (Vapor + the dash with the warning lights)
- Build custom shrouds for the sides of the tank. Carbon Fibre ones would be great.
- Another pipe.

I sorted out a few problems this weekend, the tank had so much rust in it, it clogged the fuel pump filter. I am going to need to get it chemically treated and coated with resin. I took the bike for the first real ride this weekend. Wow, it's fantastic. Handling is slightly less responsive to the stock v-strom (a mate of mine has a standard one) but it's solid. The extra height can be felt only in the ride height and not in the way it handles. It's very nimble and I very much doubt there is another bike in the 650 class that pulls like this (not talking XR650R now). It's smooth and one could quite easily cruise 500km in a day on it. Still got the stock suspension so it's no dirt bike.

Pics:
- Bike when I got it.
- Picture of bike with a mockup of side shroud
- I have moved the front fender down a little beause this looked a little out of place.
- Front view

I have to say that Custom Worx are awesome, they do impecable work, very ethical, well priced and a good bunch of blokes. I can really recommend them for custom work. Cayene Suzuki in Kyalami....Suck!

Attachments

• IMG_0386 compressed.jpg
    IMG_0386 compressed.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_0388 compressed.jpg
    IMG_0388 compressed.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_0617 Compressed.jpg
    IMG_0617 Compressed.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_0616 Compressed.jpg
    IMG_0616 Compressed.jpg