East Africa Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy Muzzy

Bachelor Dog
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
hi there guys.

I thought i would start opening some communication regarding our up coming trip.there is obviously a fair amount of planning that has to take place but we have to start somewhere so i thought i wud share some ideas regarding departure dates and the the journey in broad terms.

i propose we leave at the end of aug 27/28. andreas and i have two options. the first is to drive to kimberley on day 1 and then to gaberone on day 2
the second is to take the train to jhb with our bikes and we three start from there on say the 28th. this is a better option i feel as it takes out 1450k and 2 nights.

if we work on leaving on the 28th then i would propose  a routing / timing that looks as follows

day 1........................................jhb to gabs or close by .....................................360 k
day 2........................................gabs to nata........................................................490 k
day 3........................................nata to livingston.................................................400 k
day 4........................................free day in livingston / vic falls............................0 k
day 5........................................livingston to lusaka..............................................410 k
day 6........................................lusaka to chipata.................................................561 k
day 7........................................chipata to lilongwe...............................................149 k
day 8.........................................lilongwe to karonga via nkhata bay....................529
day 8.........................................free day at the lake...............................................0 k
day 9..........................................karonga to iringa..................................................460 k
day 10........................................iringa to dar...........................................................493 k

the total trip is about 3900k from jhb. and i have tried to work on the basis that we arrive at destinations by latest 3pm each day. i have also considered when we should hit border posts which could mean delays so i suggest that a two day buffer is built in to cover any considerations that may befall us but also we may want to spend an extra night or two along the way at points of intrest

if we work on leaving each day by 7am and we ride with breaks for 7hours at av. of 80k ph then i feel we are riding well within our limits
as for accomodation along the way i will research options but a combination of some camping and hotel i think is the way to go

as i say this is a first pass to get the ball rolling so i would like your feedback if there is anyone out there who has done this trip, also any feedvack on what not to forget or any special preperations like yellow feaver shots..