Funduro Technical Specific Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerseun1963

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Hi guys,
I have stripped down the bike after the 151 Kilo ride and basically found in the Carbs that the R/H carb has a nick on the Diaphragm and the left hand one has a busted diaphragm as well as a nick in the air cleaner outlet. I suspect that the chokes were not working properly and were always half stuck open. The million dollar question that I can’t figure out is where the carbs get vacuum from as I did not see a specific vacuum hose that in theory should be fitted onto the diaphragm covers. Can anyone please enlighten this old farmer that understands Massey Fergusons better than bikes?
On the fluids, I bought the break fluids (DOT4 Synthetic) and also Engine Oil fully synthetic. What now worries me is that Oom Harry the one and only machinist for the past 50 years in our small dorp says that you must only use straight 30 oil in any bike otherwise the rings never bead and the wear patterns are uneven. It’s hard to argue with a guy that has been at it for 50 years and apart from looking after my machining on the Massey’s he also has a R100 – so I don’t know any advice here or what have you all heard?
Funny thing was that I also saw that the bike’s one breather house from the air box was blocked off and this just does not seem right for me as the air box had massive amounts of oil in it but the bike does not use oil and she sounds strong. I go back to my suspicion that she was accident damaged and rebuilt by a novice in his garage hence the fact that I have to go through everything.
MODIFICATION
Both the plastic parts on the handle bars left and right that control the lights, starter and choke etc are busted; I guess X threaded and also glued = Yuck! I will either have to buy new, 2nd hand or do a modification and I prefer good old metal IE Aluminum, anyone ever done this or can point me on a mission so I can get another bikes aluminum ones? Options Ideas?
Technical Specific questions:
1. Will the nick in the vacuum cover have an effect?
2. Will the nick in the air cleaner inlet have an effect?
3. What is the spark plug gap?
4. Is there anyone in SA that does online bike parts, have fair prices and ships nationwide? Its bit of a mission to get from Van Reenen Population 12 to any large center but have been talking to Cytech and the guy sounds very helpful and seems to have the parts? Do any members here have parts that they sell?
5. What is the correct fuel to use, leaded or unleaded it’s an old bike?
Once again thanks for helping me guys as I said before I am not a bike fundi and it’s a bit different than the Massey!
Cheers to all and have a safe week riding!

Attachments

• Bareback.JPG
    Bareback.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Busted Diaphram.JPG
    Busted Diaphram.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Nick in aircleaner inlet carb.JPG
    Nick in aircleaner inlet carb.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Consumables.JPG
    Consumables.JPG