GPS options and advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michnus

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I am not well informed with these high-tech devices, but maybe so are many other.
What I think motorcycle riders need is the following:

Waterproof, ease of use, expandable memory, strong and durable, easy to read on a bike.

What I could pic up that is bike specific GPS receivers is the Zumo and Tom Tom.
CHECK ZUMO
garmin-zumo.jpg

Big buttons on the left so you can operate the throttle. Touch screen.But at R7800.00 it is bit to much for comfort.

The next is TOM TOM, I have never heard of this one.
CHECK TOM TOM
tomtom-rider.jpg

All the others that CYCLEGADGETS shown have right handed buttons, but they feel it is usefull on bikes. Please comment on these units

Next thing is what is the opinion on expandable memory? Is it better to pay more but get one with expandable memory, if not how much is enough internal memory?

Next if the unit shows 128mb internal memory, will all be availalbe for maps or only a portion?

What is the general feel on the receivers, are there ones better than others or map sources better than others?

Lastly what is the least expensive receiver available that will do basic stuff for our type of riding, so if I dont want to spend more money on a GPS than the price of a new KLR, what's the options?

No hijacking please :wink: