Groot Marico Ride-out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmad

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Sunday morning a bunch of us met up at the Total garage on Witkoppen and Hans Strydom in anticipation of a good days ride out to Groot Marico.

The group consisted of Bmad, TTZ, Brutus Maximas, Sir Alex, African Sky, Jacques, Cliff and Craig.

The intended routes were comprised of mainly dirt with the odd tar section thrown in.
GrootMarico.jpg

Fortunately i was enjoying the fresh smells and the scenery so much that i unfortunately forgot to take pictures in the beginning :roll:
Took a couple action shots, will post later.
I saw some other camera's, so hopefully they can add some pics for us! :wink:

The route took us through Magaliesberg, over Breedtsnek (with plenty of mountain bikers) and onto to Rustenburg. We had breakfast at the one stop where there was a group of "Bikers", maybe about 30 or so, with maybe 3 that actually had some protective clothing on. :roll:

So, past Rustenburg and onto the gravel bits towards Groot Marico.
These roads are just awesome to ride, some nice twisty bits, open stretches and good up and down pieces through the hills and valleys. Lots of loose sandy bits and places where your full attentions is required!
Unfortunately it very dry and dusty, but the scenery has a different kind of feel to it. Rather amazing the amount of dirt roads out there, you can ride for miles and not touch the same piece of dirt again.

As many people know, Groot Marico does not offer much (even the info Centre was closed). We had a quick snack at the BJ's on the outskirts of town and then headed back home.

The homeward route was a good long ride. Passing the oog, through to Koster and along the dirt roads to Derby, Boons, Hekpoort, then following the Magalies Mountain range near the base along some nice interesting roads and finally crossing the Hekpoort Pass back to the tar.

All in all a good days ride: 8)
Left at 6.00 - got home at 16.00
Total Km's �± 600

Latest posts