Help needed - oil leaking from cracked casing - what to do??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNaude

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Morning Guys,

Probably a lost cause but here goes anyways.

Friend of mine has a 2010 GS1200. Bought it about a year ago with an oil leak coming from the side where the crash bars mount onto. I can only assume this was as a result of falling smack back on the crash bars which has created a crack or something. Don’t really know the extend of the damage as he bought it patched up like the pics below. At first it wasn’t that bad, but it seems it’s getting worse.

Took it to a few places to see if we can’t get it welded back up, but you can only imagine the cost of something like this and 95% of the guys can’t guarantee it won’t ever start leaking again.

So, I’m thinking of giving it a go myself. Will remove the crap that is currently there, give it a good clean and prep, then just apply a decent epoxy sealer.
Obviously this won’t do the job but I’m confident it will be a lot better than what it is now.

I’ve done some googling and YouTube and see a lot of guys are using JB weld. Your thoughts on this?

Are there any alternative products or epoxy sealers that I can use on aluminium?
Times are tuff, money is scarce, and I know this isn’t the way to fix this, but it will just have to do for now.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 275
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 273
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 272