Help needed with my overheating F650GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fransoois

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Hi! I am having overheating troubles with my 2004 f650GS motorcycle. I just came back from a nice long trip from Prins Albert and I haven't experienced any issues.
I can confirm that the fan does kick in before the temperature dash light comes on and I can see that the bike is actually running hot. The bike idles & starts perfectly. Does this mean that we can rule out the coolant temp sensor? After some investigation I have found that the plastic thermostat housing was broken. I have replaced it and was convinced that it would solve my overheating issues. Uunfortunately, it does not seem to have made any difference at all.
I can conmfirm that the coolant- and oil level is correct and there are no leaks at the radiator or connecting hoses. I've already bled the coolant system as well.
I took off the water pump cover to see if the plastic impeller is damaged and found that it is in tact. I did however find, after turning it with my hand, that it is not really spinning freely -i.e. it tends to get slightly stuck as I rotate it. I don't know if that is normal or not.
What else can it be, or can I look at? I am not prepared to take it to BMW for them to start replacing parts left right and center and raping my bank account in the process. Any advice will be most appreciated!