Hi there! (Noob)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herman8r

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
Hi, all

My name is Herman and I am VERY new to adventure biking.

I have been riding for 5-6 years now. I started off small as a (old) learner on a Bajaj Pulsar after I felt too intimidated by the Kawa Z1000 (1981) that I bought and sold. I quickly graduated from the Pulsar to a Suzuki GSR600 and rode that for 2 years.

I commute between Centurion and Randburg every day.

In October 2010, I felt that I wanted to upgrade from the Suzuki and I walked into the shop with cash in hand and the firm intention to buy a KTM SMT. In the shop, I walked straight into a little-used, low-mileage Ducati SportClassic GT1000 ( in cream and black, of course) and the rest, as they say in the classics, is history. She is still my pride and joy.

Recently, I have been wanting to expand my biking horisons when I realised that I wanted to tour on the bike. So started the search for a new bike and a test ride 'programme' during which I tested probably 20 - 30 different bikes.

At the risk of premature ostracism from this fine group, I must perhaps admit upfront that I do not care much for the almost obligatory R1200GS. It just does not float my boat. I do, however, LOVE the Yamaha XT1200 SuperTen and the KTM Adventure and I would have bought either of those if I could afford it (keep in mind this thing must still commute and I should not cry too hard when it inevitably drops, so not too expensive, either)

So, the Honda XL700 Transalp is an affordable compromise. Bought her new from Honda Kyalami and took delivery last weekend! 

and that is how I ended up here, your Honour - in 1000 words or less.

Cheers
H