Hiya all "wild dogs"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently in Gorilla territory - Rwanda (expat Sou
Bike
AJS (all models)
I'm a newbie to the Wild Dog site/blog - not even a month yet.
I think it's awesome to see what's goin on out there and to chat to fellow bike "live-for-freedom"-ers!
Yeehaa!!!

So a brief intro:
I'm an expat SAFER (saa-fuur) - that's what we fellow south Africans call each other out here in Africa.
Been applying my trade in the creative field (I'm the agency director for an Ogilvy affiliate office) in Kigali, Rwanda, but not before I put in some good time in Kampala, Uganda.
For those of you who are super keen to do something 'different' - i strongly suggest taking trips outside of SA and into Africa - the views and experiences are breathtaking. And sometimes downright frustrating - coz everything in Africa happens in Africa time... slooow!!!
But what better way to see this beautiful continent than on the back of your 'hog'...

Anyhow - I've owned a super bike, cruiser, off-roader - and have finally settled on dual-purpose bikes.
Have worked my way up (in SA) from a grey import KAWA KLE400, to then the legal stuff - KLE500, Honda VT Cruiser, bla bla and settled on the Honda Transalp 600 (here in Rwanda).

But when I moved up to Africa, I sold my last bike and had not owned one for the last 3 years. Ouch!
I've recently acquired myself a Honda Transalp 600 '92.
Bikes like this are tough to come by up in these parts as this market is flooded with 100cc and 125cc bikes that the locals use hugely.
My Transalp looks to be in descent nic - obviously it's not a new bike - so it has its little squeaks, etc.
I'd like any/some advise or guidance regarding what to look out for - and parts availability.
I hear great things about these bikes.
Are they as easy to maintain as I have been led to believe?
I picked this bike up for $2500. Is this a reasonable price?

Anyways - I look forward to engaging with you hogs out there - and hopefully put together an adventure ride up here whereby you interested folk can be part of.

Cool bananas (and there's plenty of those up here too)

Signing off for now -
Luke Skywalker