Husky TE 610 (2006)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
So, I've been looking at a few options for when the XChallenge is gone, and I've been thinking that a Husky TE 610 might be nice. I've managed to find a 2006 in fairly good nick... but as usual, I have some questions...

For starters, why the TE 610? Well, all signs point to the Husky as being the same concept as the XChallenge, but better. It's kinda hard to find specs on the 2006, but - Longer and better suspension (Marzocchi front, Sachs rear, 300/320 mm travel), 4-5kg lighter (139kg dry), power almost the same but less restricted (54hp according to what I've found), 6 gears, cheaper and easier to farkle, and of course some nice bits like Excel rims as standard. bike also sounds killer with stock pipe, corked, but is apparently easy to uncork and squeeze some more horses from.

The 2006 differs from the 2007-2009 models in that it runs a carb as opposed to fuel injection, and 22mm bars as opposed to fatbars. Apparently the new ones' suspension is also a little better as well. Other than that they seem to be pretty much the same.

I've read some great reports on the Husky. I've also read some XR 650 R vs Husky and XChallenge vs Husky threads on sites like Advrider and Thumpertalk. On all fronts it seems this is a well loved bike, and most people's response is "you won't regret it"

Basically the impression I get is that, if I buy it, I'll be getting something that, as I said, is similar to my XChallenge, but better. It should handle better offroad with it's lighter weight, and should pull better. It should also make tar stretches a breeze with that 6th gear.

I've taken the 2009 TE (stock standard) for a spin and I was well impressed at how it pulled - it's also a very narrow bike which is lekker. Obviously though it's fuel injected. Anyone know how the '06 carbed model would behave? (I hope to ride the one I'm looking at on the weekend or next week).

It seems they are very reliable bikes from what I've heard. Rumour has it spares can be an issue though, but surely the issue is just waiting for them from Husqvarna? I mean, the last few times I got stuff from BMW i had to wait for Germany. I am planning on doing most of the servicing myself, except for the valve clearances.

Regarding farkles, IMS have a 18l tank, topbox can get me a swanky promoto luggage rack and footpegs, KTM Cape Town stocks Cycra hand guards, everyone stocks pro-taper fatbars and risers / adaptors, so I should be sorted in no time (plus I found a few other nice bits of bling).

So what do you guys think? I'm calling all the Husky experts here - what can you tell me about these bikes? And what should I look out for when buying a 2006, second hand one? What are the known issues on these bikes? Are my specs and assumptions in this post right, or am I misinformed? Anything you guys can tell me about these bikes would be much appreciated.

PS the one I might buy is a 2006 with 9000km on the clock, for R38k