I smell a rat!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1200gs.rider

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Two days ago I saw an advert on gumtree for a KTM in good nick at a very reasonable price. Mailed the guy and received this response:

" Hi there, I am really sorry I haven't been able to answer sooner, but I've been busy, I've just moved to England. Don't worry though, the bike is still there in South Africa, I left it at a shipping company in CAPE TOWN. The price I am asking is 20,000R and it includes shipping anywhere in South Africa. The bike has been left to me in a will by my uncle, I am not a bike fan, never had one, don't even have a license to drive, but I can tell you the bike runs perfectly, it is fully paid, no accidents.
        If you are still interested, than please email me back so I can explain how can this be done without me being in South Africa!
regards
Gordon

"

Mailed him back asking him if it is possible to view the bike and to get copies of the registration papers. Ask him to indicate how he would provide proof that he is now the LEGAL owner. He replied as follow:

" I have to let you know that I have prearranged the deal with AlertPay https://www.AlertPay.com, so that there will be no need for me to be there!
        You will need to send me your full name, shipping address and phone number so I can set up the
transaction with AlertPay; after that they will contact you with the payment details and you will
make a 10,000R deposit to them; they will secure your money until you receive the bike!
        In the same day AlertPay will confirm your deposit, shipping will start and you will receive a
tracking number to track your delivery! The bike will reach your address in about 4 working days,
after that you will have another 5 days for inspection; if unsatisfied with the bike you will get a full
refund from AlertPay, if not, than you'll pay the rest of the balance!
        I gived them legal empowerment to do the Rego transfer in my name and they have all the original papers
to do it!

let me know your decision
regards
Gordon

"

Nothing about the papers, proof of ownership, nothing. Now I smell a big FAT rat!  ???

Do any of you guys know this AlertPay business? Is it true that the deposit will be refunded if the bike is returned?

Any opinions? Should I give it a try or trust my instinct?  ???  ???