I'm sick of this S^&T

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit12

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
So I bought a 1150 gs in Feb from a dealer in New Germany KZN. I rode the bike for 300km and decided to take it for a major service with TR Tech, just for peace of mind. The service was done, R2800, and was told the bike is in excellent condition and that I had bought a real gem even though it had 72000km on the clock. But I just need to keep an eye on the final drive as they found a small amount of shavings in the oil. WTF??? shavings in oil then there is a serious problem. So off the bike goes too an old school BMW mechanic who works from home. Discovers and replaces the f#@ked final drive bearing. Sweet problem solved, R4800. Before he takes the bike off the bench and on the center stand, he starts it up and runs through the gears up to 6th. As he taps off there's this God almighty noise coming from the gearbox. :xxbah: Diagnosis damaged input shaft bearing. Since he took 5 weeks just to change the bearing in the FD, I figure rather send the bike to BMW Mottorad Pinetown, they will fix this quickly. So off it goes to BMW. They strip it down in 1 day and find the input bearing shot as well as damage to the selector fork and and and!!!. Quote R17k as the box needs to go to Cape Town to be repaired. I shit you not :eek7:. 2 Weeks the dude tells me. Well what can I do, at least i'll have a guarantee.  That was the beginning of April so I went to see them yesterday and politely ask WTF. I was taken to the work shop to where the box is lying open on the table. My first question " how long has this been here". "Since Wednesday afternoon". The guy says to me these boxes unfortunately take a long time to assemble as they have to be shimmed. So they put shims in, close the box up, check for play then strip again and shim again. "Ok, so when will you finish this bike" "oh probably next week Friday" ???. And this is BMW themselves. Now I know I'm going to be asked why did I not take the bike back to the original shop I purchased it at. Well, just after I bought the bike I started hearing about how this dealer uses Pratleys to repair a striped bolt on a clutch and all sorts of horrific story's from a few people. So then the point of my story,  PLEASE if you buy second hand bike, have someone that knows the make and model you're about to purchase, go over it. It might save you a kak load of money later.