Introducing Callie de Jager

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Hi All

Introducing myself, Callie de Jager.  I have been a biker for about 20 years, most of which has been off-road on my 1981 Honda XR500R.  Great fun, and cannot be broken.  I lived in Mpumalanga when I got it, and a friend of mine got one too, and we often went for rides after work in the afternoons, and all day over weekends.  I managed to crash often, and once even submerged my bike completely!  That gave me a good reason to refurbish it completely, which was great as there wasn't much else to do where we lived.  I still have the bike, and now use it over weekends when we visit my in-laws in Vredenburg on the west coast.  I've been to places there that very few people ever see, once even came across a pile of items that came off a ship that probably sank.

In recent years I started commuting when I bought myself a BMW F650GS Dakar, which I kitted out with a top box, touring screen, handlebar risers, centre stand and alarm system.  I am meticulous and pedantic about maintenance, and do preventative maintenance like checking tyre pressures, fluid levels and lubing my chain very regularly.  I live in Durbanville, and have been working in the Cape Town CBD for the last couple of years, so it's about a 50km commute.  When my kids are bigger I hope to ride more over weekends.

Cheers
Callie