Katse Dam and Sani Pass - Advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendon

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Ok... I have like a million questions here, but some background first  :D

I know "nothing" about Lesotho... zero, nada, zilch. What I know, is what I can see on Mapsource QED.

A mate and myself, who are absolute Noobs (done "basic" beginner courses) have decided to jump in the deep end and undertake a trip to Katse Dam in May (Me on a 1200 GSA, and he on a Super 10). "Potentially" looking at doing Sani Pass as well. We will be travelling with a 4X4 Vehicle, so some considerations also need to be included for the cage.

Looking to do a weekend trip (so about a 3 or 4 day trip, leaving and returning to JHB).

1) Should we tackle Sani Pass, or would you suggest gaining more experience first? (Keeping in mind that I scored a 10% on the "Rate your skills" poll\thread). Will a 4X4 SUV manage Sani Pass?

2) Anyone able to recommend "noob" friendly routes to ride in Lesotho?

3) What is the fuel availability like? 95 Octane specifically.

4) Anyone recommend some nice B&B type acoomodations?

5) Should we consider doing a "guided tour" with an operator in the area rather? If so, who would you recommend? (3 or 4 day tour)

6) Are Knobblies a "must" ... or could we get away with using Dual Purpose tyres?

7) Anyone wanna join in?  :biggrin:

I am sure more questions will follow, but that is the "jist" of it at the moment.

Thanks in advance  :thumleft: