Kawasaki explore: to, there and from

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Die Rooi Baron

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
So I left on Friday 4 May to the Kawasaki Explore weekend in Newcastle. I was looking forward to some long distance riding and to see the town where I started my schooling...

DSC00041.jpg

About 30km outside Pretoria following the M30 the trip actually begins.

DSC00042.jpg

Unfortunately I could not travel on gravel exclusively, so I was confronted with this :?

DSC00043.jpg

Saturday morning the group left Newcastle and encountered the first pass - check the dust from those bringing up the rear

DSC00048.jpg

First smoke break of the day. It wasn't an exclusive Kawa affair...

DSC00051.jpg

Some stood up

DSC00052.jpg

Some sat down

DSC00053.jpg

Some even tried to take off... maybe if it wasn't for the pillion

DSC00055.jpg

On top of another mountain for a rest...

DSC00058.jpg

An then to another hill to descend

DSC00059.jpg

Some looked like fighter pilots (this one with an Airoh Tyger)

DSC00060.jpg

At one stage I took a detour looking for someone who got separated from the group...it was worth it!!

soek.jpg

A small obstacle to contend with. Just after a bend I missed this HOLE at 100km/h with ten centimetres.

KBY.jpg

Another rider taking a corner nice and easy...

staan.jpg

Close to the end...spot the front runners

stof.jpg

Lunch in Ladysmith. Gentlemen, start your magnifying glasses and spot the different types of bikes!

ladysmith.jpg

Sunday morning I left Newcastle via the Memel/Vrede road. Took the skelm turn off to the Schuinshoogte battlefield, went through Ingogo to Wakkerstroom, onto Amersfoort - all on gravel:

brug.jpg

hoofweg.jpg

noghoofweg.jpg

This was some of the surface of the "highway".

padop.jpg

rivier.jpg

In Amersfoort a pothole - IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN :!: :evil: and subsequent bottoming out - demanded half my number plate. I now know why they teach you stand on your pegs in the Amersfoort district :wink: :twisted:
From here on it was tar up to Delmas, then onto the R42 to Bronkhorstspruit. On this road you turn left onto a gravel road which eventually leads you back to Pretoria east.

35 km from home:

35km.jpg

I travelled 1048km in total, of which approx half was on tar.

No serious accidents took place...

There was a BMW (Dakar), a Honda (Transalp) and a Triumph (new Tiger) and some older models KLE's and KLR's. Fun was had by all.