KLR Electrical Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D man

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
Hi Dogs,

Over the years I’ve been impressed by the knowledge available and freely dispensed on this forum and hopefully I can benefit from this and resolve an issue on my KLR that has me tearing my hair out.

Now that I’m done with blowing smoke up your asses, here is the problem:

It is electrical in nature and started about 6 weeks ago with a blown main fuse i.e. the bike was totally dead with no ignition light coming on.  After replacing the main fuse, the ignition light would come on but the starter button didn’t work.

Eventually the bike went off on the back of a bakkie to Clubhouse Motors in Bez Valley, something that has happened 3 times now.  Each time, after collecting the bike from them it would be ok for a couple of days, maybe a week and then the problem would resurface – ignition light on but starter button not working.

Clubhouse had the bike at an auto-electrician and initially replaced the starter button mechanism – all to no avail.

This morning again, the bike wouldn’t start and I am reluctant to take it to back to them as it is clear to me that they cannot resolve the problem.

Any thoughts on where to from here?

Many thanks,

D