KLR650 2013 Excessive oil and fuel use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiLR650

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
So the lady and I packed the bike yesterday and left Cape Town to join my parents for a small holiday in Mosselbaai, some 350km's away. We had very strong crosswinds and I was constantly running 130kph at around 6000rpm. We only did 250km's before the bike chocked and I had to turn on the reserve. I was very surprised as I usually get 350km's before I switch on the reserve, but then I figured it's due to the highly stacked luggage on the back of the bike, we're two and also the high speed. So feeling fine with the fuel consumption we rodr on to Mosselbaai and when we arrived I checked my oil (I know, should have done it at the fill up) and there was only about a quarter of the glass showing oil with the bike standing straight up.

Now the oil was topped up by the dealership a week before our trip, so I find this oil consumption very excessive.

Is it normal for the speed and load we were carrying?  Was I being a bit dof with my bike? Or should I be worried about anything?

The bike is still under warranty though.