KM's on a bike ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
The more I read the "How many k's on your bike ?" thread the more I come to the conclusion it's almost like a "Mine is Bigger than Your's thread.

I am more interrested to find out from the members their views on when a bike's mileage is too high?

I know Mr Frazier/Frazer and a few other RTW travellers has probably done 300 000 plus on their bike/s, so don't tell me what's been done by other people, but your personal opinion.....!

If you had to go and buy a 2'nd hand bike and you look at the speedo, you say too yourself "Hell that's high mileage!"

Was visiting the 2'nd hand market on the motorrad website, and I noticed quite a few '04 R1200GS' with 8000 or less km's. In my humble opinion that's nothing - probably a ride from the dealer to his/her house! How do they do that? Sit and look at the bike on a Sunday morning while the missus serves him breakfast?

In '99 I bought a 2'nd hand R1100GS, '97 model and it had 63 (yes sixty three km's) on the clock. (No don't ask - you don't wanna know) I sold it beginning of last year with 114K km's on the clock. That owner (Excalibur) sold it with 130K on the clock earlier this year. The new owner (Klippies) is very happy with the bike, so Happy he rode into a Merc on the way back from the Impala. Now I ask myself would I buy a bike with 130K on the clock?
If it's a R1100GS, not problem - I would buy it (at the right price of course)!
If it's a R1200GS, I wouldn't bother taking a look at it (Guess I thing it's too soft)!
Any other brand - not sure. My personal margin would be set somewhere qround 60K km's! After that hell I'm not sure!