KTM 950 overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaTaM

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
After a brilliant weekend at Warmwaterberg I returned early yesterday morning.
After about 5min of cruising at 160kph the temperature light came on. We rode the previous day in the heat of the afternoon (quite hard at times) with no problems etc etc.
The bike did not seem hot like it does on warm days - this was about 6am in the morning.
I discovered the radiator was not hot and the fan also did not come in. When I opened the radiator cap some coolant came out which was hot (but did not burn me).
I waited for the bike to cool down and then continued. The temp was running higher than normal now(about two lines from the max of the indicator) and as soon as I started riding harder it went up again.
I think it is the thermostat not opening but cannot say for sure.
Question: anybody experienced this before ( the bike has not received any attention recently and I have not had engine problems before).
Secondly, where is the thermostat located and is it one of those "agents only" jobbies? Lastly, what is the chances for engine damage - can't say how long the bike was in an overheat situation but it could not have been for long and I also did not pick up any evidence of the coolant boiling. There is plenty of anti-freeze in the coolant water.
And no, I am definitely not going over to air-cooled toys now.