KTM Bushmans Cave Weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lito

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
So the day arrived. Must say that I was nervous (as I am before all these events), due to the unknown nature of this beast. Having never been on a KTM only weekend before, I imagined that I would be a witness to some of the most talented riders around doing funky things on bikes that I dream about and see on TV.

Having just talked my way out of being arrested and slapped with a R4K fine (for riding like an absolute hooligan en route to Bellville Court to act as witness against the drug dealing idiots who stole my BMW Dakar in 2005), I found myself in a position to join the fine folk at KTM for the ride out to this "Bushmans Cave" just outside Clanwilliam.

There was a smallish group of between 8-10 bikes, and it looked like it was going to be a fun ride. Route was discussed, ride leaders designated, and voila, we were off.

282722380_mHQ8f-L.jpg

282722459_BN3PG-L.jpg

282722547_pP7xj-L.jpg

If I recall correctly, this is Paul with the yellow helmet and jeans. He is a Clanwilliam local, and knows the area backwards. He was going to ride sweep initially and as we hit the pass going over the mountains from Piketberg to Citrusdal, he took off. It was fun chasing him on the knobs. He sure can corner!

282722590_Zpzo8-L.jpg

When we got to Citrusdal, I was approached by Paul who said that those of us who are fast on dirt must go ahead. I was sure surprised - having never ridden with me before, I guess that having a SE must make you look fast  :D

So it was the 3 SE/R's that took off first, and hit the dirt. The chap in the blue and white and who looks like a real ride, is one. He apparently comes top ten in the Enduros all the time, Marco is his name. An assuming fairly quiet man who lets his bike do the talking - he was fast. He was brought along by Enduro World to do the press shots for the 690 KTM enduro which was being "dirt launched" on the weekend.

I managed to take to the dirt first, and it was dust bowl city. The Citrusdal- Clanwilliam road is absolutely dry with small portions of light sand and rocks embedded in the surface intermittently. There was weekend traffic and man the clouds of dust were horrendous. Managed to arrive at the 4 way crossing and waited for the group as it was my first time on the road. Speeds were up to 170 true. Marco arrived next having overtaken FlyingNaartjie, and after a few backslaps and what not, we took off again to the next point where Ashley Baud (dealer principal of KTM CTown),  Ken (silent partner in the business) and 2Wheels cameraman were waiting with the AV stuff. I guess you'll see that shot on tv. It was truly awesome to duke it out a bit with a fine rider, someone I can learn a lot from.

Heres Lawrence the cameraman - these images are courtesy of KTM CT

DSC04678.jpg

See the joy on the guys faces as we get off after the first dice - Marco on left, me, and Richard from Enduro World

DSC04682.jpg

(Ashley left, then Marco, then Claude who was leading this ride)

282722621_MeiJd-L.jpg

282722671_oHijo-L.jpg

282722728_qKTvj-L.jpg

Heres some of the other chaps

DSC04684.jpg

Another section where I didnt get the camera out (to beezy ridin'  ;D) but I was in front of Marco coming into the corner and I got a fright seeing the camera man again. I made the corner, but ran wide, which wasnt pretty. Things seemed to slow down after this..

heres Marco chasing me still on the gas, and me staring right at the cameraman, and starting to lock the rear into the corner  ::) -

DSC04694.jpg

DSC04696.jpg

Anyway, time rolls on, and we decided to scout out this old mansion which had been burnt to the ground and left for dead (as long as memory recalls according to Paul)

282722771_EmMp4-L.jpg

Filled up in Clanwilliam, and made our way to the venue. A few fast corners and etc later, and we were happy to be "home".

heres Marco posing for me (thanks Marco!) - its amazing how these fast boys look so natural and so good on a bike  O0

282722818_MiNXo-L.jpg

Having arrived early, here is Ze Village...

282722858_zZEpe-L.jpg

282722901_cc7FN-L.jpg

The beast on display
282722965_9vdFs-L.jpg

KTM had 3 or 4 support vehicles there, replete with extra 2stroke sorted out gas, regular gas, tubes, tyres, mechanics, tyre changers, the works. Brilliant stuff guys ...thumbs up...

282723065_TqjWG-L.jpg

The fatboy tired, adrenalised, and happy. More coming.

282723115_c3WRq-L.jpg