KTM RR 08 from CT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piston Pete

Teach Peace
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Thomas River....an old Railway Station from days gone by...
Once again it was a fantasic event, well run, in an amazing piece of rural South Africa. Its unfair to compare last years to 08 as the venues are different and the way you get there providing alternatives. The actual riding itself for me was way different! Last year i had had my bike for only a month with 300kms on the clock & went riding with madmen!
This year i was a 1000% better rider than last however i have a LOT to learn! This clearly is not going to stop.

Before i go any further i feel compelled to once again think of the rider who passed away on the GS Challange. RIP. I was sitinging at my desk today thinking of him, his family & friends & thought of my daughter. I could not help but shed some tears. Ours is a dangerous hobby & sport and this just highlighted once again the risks we take.

We left KTM CT Wednesday morning after some lekker coffees & a bit of bonding. Most of the riders were unfamiliar with each other. It does not take long however to get into the idea of looking out for one another. (they aint all dogs!)
At Montague 3 riders took off on dirt to Willowmore where we spent a lovely evening at a charming guesthouse with a killer outdoor fireplace under the dak. The drinkies flowed & stories told.
The next day we all hit dirt incl Speedi & Mrs Speedi :eek: & did about 600kms to the RR led by Kamanya (excellent lead rider {very pacy} and recontour of routes of note). By the time we hit Cathcart i was warmed up & feeling confident & looking forward to the challenges. >:D

That afternoon/evening the riders pulled in at all times in drips and drabs & set up camp. The Bedouin tent & farm pub were well attended. Fires blazed away to create heat islands & were most welcome....as well as the local talent serving behind the bar. :mwink:

With the funding from the RR the locals were able to provide additional buildings with showers & toilets. :deal: Its not only the organisers who benefit but it seems to cascade down a bit to :thumleft:

A couple of us opted for RR 2 & i became Andres wingman as we seemed to end up together. He is faster than me & more adept at the tech pieces but i was not far behind! ::)

I only fell off twice....once with the KTM chopper overhead clearly watching PP making a fool of himself...actually it was another riders fault....he stalled over a rocky tech piece & i clipped him falling over myself! The next was down a tight pass riding on ball bearings...a 690SE went pearshaped but made it, Andre went pear but saved....me....touched the back break & highsided landing on my elbow & shoulder. Thanks to modifying my gear with heavier duty stuff!

Thats not all....after Katberg Pass & lunch we took a wrong turn & did part of RR1......f#&kin hell. Thats when i realised what these bikes can do man. The first ledge must have been minimum one&ahalf feet high ( the devils starcase) & then it really started....guess you had to be there. Just when you thought it was over another section would appear & wait in anticipation.

Thereafter we cruised as everything was easy & only about speed. I had taken a pounding throughout the day beyond my belief but had survived with most of my ego intact ;D

That evening the usual party ensued & was most enjoyable with war stories being swapped...with slight embellishments i'm sure!

Just one thing before i end off...thanks to Andre & Art for riding back to CT together....i will ride wherever whenever with you guys.

The Eastern Cape is a wonderful place but nowhere is poverty so apparent. You are truly in a fools paradise if you think all is ok. I really felt for the LP's as they tried hawking their wares at ridiculous prices that would barely buy 1 chappies. I must make restitution.

Thanks to the all the KTM riders....there is a lekker gees amongst the guys no matter how heavy the bony, no matter how long the repair, no matter what....the guys were there :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Attachments

• RR 2008 001.JPG
    RR 2008 001.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 340
  • RR 2008 005.JPG
    RR 2008 005.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 334
  • RR 2008 007.JPG
    RR 2008 007.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 334
  • RR 2008 012.JPG
    RR 2008 012.JPG