KZN - UmzumbeX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr G (David)

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
Its me again.....I got to plan a trip down the South Coast, to spend the weekend in Umtentweni (Port Shepstone), visit some old haunts, then to meet up with some mates Stu and Ash who were going to Ride the UmzumbeX, for the first time.

Unfortunately (777) Craig was unable to join me on the adventure ride through injury...so he says ::)

For the plastics it was an extreme event and I think there were +- 80 contestants. I was hoping to get a glimpse of the action....but that was very limited.

The organizers mission in the past was of a field of 100 partisipants that only 10 should finish. >:D This year it was that of 100, 90 should finish. ;D

The GPS's were loaded on Saturday morning at the registration point and all were given a riders briefing, whilst enjoying a coffee and breakfast roll.....all very efficient :3some:

I departed at the same time following the loaded GPS route. From the departure to the end it was really beatifull riding, lovely scenery and views.

I was the first to get to the Umzimkulu River (not intentionally) crossing where a tractor awaited us. Once I was across I was 7 Km from the Lake Eland Resort, were I had lunch and a cold one. I had covered 90Km in total. (That could have been a little longer as there was plenty riding out there.) :'(

I then took some other adventure riders back to the river crossing as they were not prepared to attempt it from the other side, so had come directly to Lake Eland.

I watched about three tractor loads of riders come over the river. In the crowd was the first adventure ride....see pics of the river crossing

My mates (you have to ride in teams if two or three) on the plastics, came in at 2 pm after leaving at 8:30am and covered 70 Km.

I headed back to The Spot and arrived around 3 pm. I left early in the morning and followed the old South Coast road back again....a very nice weekend all in all..... :thumleft: