Lekka Mal in Malawi (Cont)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nardus

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
I have been to Malawi 5 times and it has never dissappointed me. In fact, I will go there tomorrow again if I could. I did this trip last year with a mate that I have met in Malawi at Cape Maclear about 5 years ago.

As a hardcore DS rider, I have convinced the two comrades (Hein and Chris from Pta) to load the bikes on the back of my bakkie all the way to Mutare in Zimbabwe.

01j.jpg

About 100km from Beitbridge, is the Lion and Elephant (or something like that) at the Bumi River, a real treat.

01e.jpg

As we were approaching Mutare, we started with some real carbo loading. These days it is rather difficult to find a cold one (or even a warm one) in the shops in Zim. Very, very sad to see the lovely and friendly people of Zim is such a poor state.

01p.jpg

We left the vehicle at this backpackers in Mutare. Its an old friendly lady running this joint and its worth keeping it in mind for future reference.

01s.jpg

You will see from the photo below that 3 pizzas and 3 coffees a year ago would set you back Z$2.7m.

01v.jpg

Once we have crossed the border into Mozambique, the real trip begins. It is amazing how things have improved in Mozambique over the past couple of years - a real example of delivery, unlike the slow progress here in SA. All along the roads there are little guesthouses and tearooms with cold beer.

02b.jpg

We filled up at Gorongosa village. It took us some time to find the petrol shop and were a bit weary of the quality of fuel, but later realized that this is standard procedure in Moz.

2k.jpg

Had to check carefully that no solids landed up in my fuel tank.

2q.jpg

I was dissappointed with this gravel road that use to meander through the bush. It use to be a small 2-track road with lots op mud, water, ruts in. Now it looks like a highway - only the cat-eyes that are absent.

3d.jpg

The local taxis in the rural areas has not changed.

5.jpg

This road ends up at Chemba on the Zambezi river. What an awesome place - very friendly people, cold beer and even a campsite outside town with a view. Did not even have to pay.

7b.jpg

This is one of the Chemba locals that entertained us whilst we took a few cold ones in the village.

8f.jpg

The next day will filled up at Sena. Millions of people in this rather remote village and the three big bikes have drawn a crowd. Again with the fuel in drums at the market place.

14d.jpg

This 3km long bridge over the Zambesi is currently out of action. It is being replaced. The first time I arrived here I was rather surprised to see such a bridge in the middle of nowhere. Even at Caia one has to cross with a ferry.

15.jpg

Our initial plan was not to go to Malawi, but to northern Mozambique - the Niassa province, where I know very few travellers have been. Unfortunately, I had no confidence in my KTM640, so confinced my comrades to rather cross over to Malawi. This was a nice little road, only used by bicycles on the way to the Shire river.

20.jpg

This is the border post at Malawi and some frienly africal fellows - the so-called Warm Heart Of Africa !

24a.jpg

24c.jpg

Hein found this "hool" in Blantyre, called Doodles, in the middle of the taxi-rank. What a nice spot and as you can see: Lots of warm hearts !!

25c.jpg

THE REST THE REPORT WILL FOLLOW LATER ....... !!