Lesotho------Solo and Surrounding areas for a week-----

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Had some time at hand and decided to trailer my Hussy down to Natal and do some riding --SOLO--of course for a whole week.

First stop was at the foot of the Maluti Mountains that border Natal and Lesotho at the Sani Pass area. Been years since i last rode Sani---too many if i may say so.

Lesotho-

Basutoland was renamed the Kingdom of Lesotho upon independence from the UK in 1966. The Basuto National Party ruled for the first two decades. King MOSHOESHOE was exiled in 1990, but returned to Lesotho in 1992 and was reinstated in 1995. Constitutional government was restored in 1993 after seven years of military rule. In 1998, violent protests and a military mutiny following a contentious election prompted a brief but bloody intervention by South African and Botswana military forces under the aegis of the Southern African Development Community. Subsequent constitutional reforms restored relative political stability. Peaceful parliamentary elections were held in 2002, but the National Assembly elections of February 2007 were hotly contested and aggrieved parties continue to dispute how the electoral law was applied to award proportional seats in the Assembly.

Day One --The view that greeted me from my Chalet --The Mountains that needed once more to be explored and ridden after too many years-- part of my Bucket list---

On route --clear crystal streams that have no hurry or time or agenda that needs to be kept -

On the way towards the South African border Patrol post--

The SA Border control post--

Just a nice cool breeze in the early morning air --

Not even 5 minutes and i was on my way again
A view along the way

Ice --this time of the year--as they say you can have all the seasons --In One Day in Lesotho--Expect the unexpected--

The Local means of Transport in Lesotho--

Sani Pass --

By now i had passed the Sani Border post and was on my way all along the winding road towards -- Well it did not matter--i was Alone and having great fun--Not a car or person in sight--

Was this what things looked like before time was woven ?

Found some deserted Stone huts--who lived here ? life must have been harsh in this empty land --

Found some Goat tracks that looked like a shortcut to meet another road ahead--so i decided follow it and see---

The Road ahead that i was looking for --

On the way down again i passed broken 4x4's that were not getting up today and people listening to --Head Banging Music--or was it them being tossed from side to side in the 4x4--never the less looked funny to me---

NOT --today --not THAT --brave at this stage of my life--just gave this section a -BIG miss---off the track --and i was planning to stay on the track..

Observation---

Reasonably easy to do on any small DS bike--the bigger bikes i am sure could become a handful and the weight on the way down also could become a --small -problem. Wet weather in Lesotho is another story and when it snows --well lets jus say--i found enough motorcycle mirrors and some parts along the road. Of those before --that did not come off to lightly--or maybe they did -- ::)

A must for every DS rider out there--take a friend or two--just in case.  :thumleft:

DAY TWO----Lower Lotheni and some Midlands Meander Roads towards Howick -Bulwer etc.

This is what greeted me on the start of my Journey--

The Roads and scenery in this area are spectacular--even after the veld fires this time of the year--

These roads go on forever and are great to get the cobwebs out of one's head as well as to get the bikes motor breathing again-

All and all i had some great riding behind me and --was planning to ride through Lesotho to Clarence and do The Old Mill route--unfortunately i did not have 11 hours of riding in a day left in me----Sooooooooooo --i did the next best thing--Loaded my bike and trailered through to Clarence to do the Old Mill Route --and of course --tick it --OFF--my Bucket list --seperate Ride Report to follow--