Lewensgevaarlik oil consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Enduro
Here is something to Bash-a-BMW for those who are bored, (wat vir my normaal lyk te wees op die forum) but then maybe some knowledgeable person out there can confirm that this is true or not or maybe I was just unlucky.

My Lewensgevaarlik has done 100 000km (as posted on the Forum). I had to get the bike repaired not so long ago. A bearing in the gearbox was damaged and need to be replaced. It actually semi seized and started to turn in the casing. Luckily no serious damage but quite a few Rrr’s need to be forked out vir die ou grappie.

I thought long and hard why?
Then I remember something. In the year 2008 over December I returned from the Cape (Strand specific) for Pretoria. For some obscure reason I decided to be in TswaniToria before the Sun set the evening. I left Strand at about 06h00 the morning and was about 19h00 the evening at my home. This includes an about one and a half stop over at Three Sisters for some refreshments. It was bloody damn hot through the Karoo. Calculating the fuel consumption between refuel stops, the consumption for some sections were as low 14km/liter

Still today I am getting reminders via SMS and post even E-mail for outstanding fines that need to be paid from that time.

When I arrive at home the LG engine emits this strange rattling noise that I conveniently try to ignore. The next morning when I start the bike, the noise was even worse. Happen to look what the oil level was, surprise (or not?) There was very little oil left in the crankcase. Top it up and the noise disappear.

Question: Is it normal for an 800 to use oil when continuously driving at high speed or was I just unlucky?  :(

Or maybe I should have stayed of the tar road?