Looking for a bike to tour Southern Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
This coming September or October I am going to be in a position where I can take about a month off of work. I have decided to make the best of this time by doing my first ever “fly and ride” motorcycle trip. I have narrowed my possible destinations down to either Mongolia or Southern Africa. Both places have been dream trips for a long time. I have already worked out most of the details should I go to Mongolia, but should I go to Africa, I still have some unknowns.

My biggest concern right now in Africa is finding a bike. I have read some reports on here, as well as AdvRider and HUBB, about foreigners purchasing and registering bikes in ZA, but getting a TRN seems like too much bureaucratic hassle for me for such a short trip. Ideally, I would like to find a bike to rent. The problem it seems, is that I am mostly finding big BMW’s, KTM’s, and similar. I ride a 1200 GS at home, but that is not what I want for this trip.  Ideally, I would like to find a smaller dual sport. In fact, if it wasn’t for the bureaucratic hassle, I would spend 1,000 USD and buy a cheap, used, 150 to 200cc Chinese bike for the trip. Also, I do plan to cross into Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe.

This leads to my most pressing question, is anyone familiar with any place to rent a small dual sport motorcycle? It would be even better if anyone knows of a place to rent a cheap Chinese bike. Thanks in advance.