Making a seat comfy......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrap

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
When I bought my Africa Twin a few years ago the first impression was how uncomfortable the seat was.
It was like sitting on a fresh loaf of white bread. I threatened to do something about it but never got very far.
I didnt really want to chop up the original seat for various reasons. Eventually I found a donor seat from a forum member and on Sunday I set about the conversion.

First step is stripping off the cover, held on with staples into the plastic base.
Then you start carving the foam. Some people swear by electric carving knives but I use a small angle grinder fitted with a flap wheel. I also use an old Black and Decker electric file.

First you need to work out why the seat is uncomfortable. In the case of the Africa Twin the seat is too soft. too narrow and it slopes off towards the tank. Koki in some guidelines and start shaping. Maybe practice on some old foam to get a feel for it.

Once I have the basic shape I widen the seat slightly to improve the comfort. On the Twin I avoid widening the area where your legs are when standing. I also create a ridge to stop the pillion invading your seat. 5mm neoprene foam rubber stuck on with contact adhesive does the trick. Trim edges with angle grinder.

Build up the ridge with more strips and then contour it until it looks right.

Then its time to cover the business part of the seat. I use camping mattress foam because it is firm and it has a memory that slowly conforms to the contours of your arse. You can use 80 grit sandpaper to round edges and feather in joins.

Sit on the seat often as you go to judge your progress. Once finished I leave it till the next day before sitting on it again to ensure I'm happy.

Then its off to your favourite trimmer for covering. The whole lot will cost less than a Grand and take about 3 or 4 hours including time spent contemplating progress. I will be adding the HONDA on the sides next week.