SITTING AND DABBING IN MUDDY SECTIONS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Yesterday I elegantly dropped my AT at the 99% through an awkward "mud-hole". A nasty muddy section developed over a section of a service road next to a railway track. Vehicles (viewed from my direction of approach) tracked a side track to my right to loop the mud section. The rightside was noticeably higher than the mud road so going right resulted in an inevitable angled attack of a steep'ish bump. So the scenario is that you enter a messy mud section for just a few metres, then go right to get over the bump to reach higher ground and then to loop around the rest of the mud section. I went first with the "stand up, look up and open up" fantasy. I cleared all but as my rear wheel hit the bumped edge it just instantly wipe out (clockwise) and lekker down I went. My buddy then followed and decided to sit, legs gently touching down. On hitting the edge he dabbed with his right leg as he anticipated the rear wheel slide and whalla through he went.
And I wondered, why on earth is sitting and dabbing with legs (when that seems to be the preferred way) not acknowledged as a skill and taught by off road riding instructors ???? Is it an inflated "ego issue" or must I go out and practice that section until I clear it through while standing up??
Your views will be appreciated.
Me, the "over analyst" (Heimer knows me ...)