Mitas E-07 not as good as people say!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexTH3man

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
the dakar needed new rubber on the front, and from what i've been reading on here i thought the E-07 would be great to try out.  got it fitted at a reputable dealer on the friday, rode straight home and parked it. the saturday i went out to do some riding on the dirt and loved the grip the tyre gave but on the way home from riding in the mountains i stretched the dakars legs a little and wanted to "cruise" at my usual 140km/h speed. the bike developed a headshake at 125km/h and i thought i should push through a little and got to 135km/h where i ran out of balls and reeled it back in as it was turning into a full tank slapper!

the bike went back to the place where i bought the tyre on the monday and i told the guys that this was a problem to me seeing as i ride highways on my daily commute. 

they then contacted Mitas who told me it was my bike and the way the suspension was set up. i set the rear shock to be hard as a rock (as recommended) and took it out for a run... the same headshake happened, the shops guys also rode my bike and experienced the same story. this should not be happening to a tyre like this at these speeds. this is after all a dual sport tyre (50/50) tyre!

i have had a look at the tyre and my front rim by lifting up the front and spinning the wheel. the rim is straight, and the beading is right BUT the tyre is not straight!!! you can see the tyre weaves and bends on the rim as you spin the wheel.

i have left this to the shop to sort out, and i hope they can solve the problem. whether this means a new tyre due to manufacturing fault or different brand i don't care...  it was just a great disappointment for this new "miracle tyre".