Mpumalanga road trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saklx650c

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
My old man, my boet and I are planning a road trip next weekend in this area.  So any advice and answers to some questions will be welcomed.
Firstly my boet is in Edenvale area so I see that there is a freeway looking thing on google earth to Belfast.  Is this the best way to get to Belfast and are there any toll roads on that section.  It looks like about 150km from Edenvale area, is that right.

I was thinking of ridng all the way to Sabie (+\- 300km) on the first day with some stops along the way (ie: Dullstrom LyndenBurg etc) and then basing ourselves in Sabie for two nights.  Is this advisable bearing in mind that I will be riding an oldish Enfield bullet.  Other two on CB 900's.  Is it safe to leave stuff for the day in one of the campsites in Sabie.  Can anyone recommend a good/safe but inexpensive camp site in Sabie and will we need to book in advance.

How many times should we do the long tom pass or is it not that spectacular and which ones in the area are.

Day two will be spent ridng to Pilgrims Rest, Graskop and Hazyview and then back to Sabie unless someone has any other nice rides (little or no gravel please unfortunately).

Day three the haul back to JHB via Sudwala caves and maybe: there looks like there is a biggish dam south of Lydenburg, worth going past yes/no.

On google earth there are lots of white (secondary roads)in the area.  Some say gravel - are these mainly tar roads?  Is the secondary road between Sudwala and Lydenburg tar or gravel

thanks  all advise and comments appreciated except for ones about riding tar and not gravel :lamer: