My 1st Solo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtienneNXR

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
Ever since I got my license earlier this year i have always had a small solo trip in the back of my head, just a couple of days in the klein karoo or something like that.

So at the beginning of the school holiday I finally got the chance to do this.

Today I was going to ride to Bonnievale via back roads

All packed and ready I left a very wet and rainy Cape Town
DSCF4799Small.jpg

1st stop to get the rain suite out, little did I know i was going to be wearing it for the rest of the day ::)
DSCF4801Small.jpg

I had a nice ride to Franshoek(in the rain) and stopped at this monument, have know idea what it is for?
DSCF4803Small.jpg

I stopped just before the pass to take the rain suit jacket off, as the rain had stopped by now,but it was still very cold my supposed "anti fog" goggles were fogging up like crazy :eek7:
DSCF4805Small.jpg

Here Im at the top of the pass,its quite steep and the gearbox got thoroughly worked on the way up.
DSCF4806Small.jpg

DSCF4807Small.jpg

And then it started to rain again, time to get the rain suit out again,the fog was also coming in and you could not see a thing on the way down,quite scary :p
DSCF4810Small.jpg

I stopped a bit as I could not ride in this rain it was just to dangerous for my capabilities
DSCF4813Small.jpg

DSCF4811Small.jpg

The rain lifted a bit and i set off again, towards Theewaterskloof dam,here you can see how full it was.
DSCF4815Small.jpg

Leaving Villiersdorp the rain finally stopped.
DSCF4816Small.jpg

I had HUGE crosswinds on this roads was lucky to not get the wind from the front, the wind blew me out of the lane on one time and onto the side of the road, luckily there was no oncoming traffic.
DSCF4818Small.jpg

Onto this road,which name I cannot pronounce, this was going to be the first bit of gravel for the day,whoop whoop :drif:
I stopped here and had a snack,stretched my legs a bit and set off again.
DSCF4819Small.jpg

The road had tar sections in between, although the maps clearly stated its gravel? Ah well still beats highways!
I think this sign is in the wrong place,there was not a drop of water on the whole road.
DSCF4821Small.jpg

Ah sweet sweet gravel  :p
DSCF4822Small.jpg

Came across this absolute gem on the road to Robertson, man I like this car!! Looks like a 38 Chevy
DSCF4825Small.jpg

The entrance of Binnievale, its quite a feeling to get to your destination even though it wasn't that far.
DSCF4828Small.jpg

Err. there is no way Im getting across this water crossing ???
DSCF4833Small.jpg

Ah I made the 1st day,the bike held up the luggage worked and I was happy.

The next day was going to be to Ladismith, I left a sunny Bonnievale on route to Ladismith via the Oubergpass,today was going to be all gravel!!

Going through ashton.
DSCF4836Small.jpg

Filled up and I only used 6l of petrol the whole of yesterday :eek: ;D

Going through Montagu
DSCF4838Small.jpg

Here the gravel starts, the turnoff to Oubergpas, I got a call from operator giving me the heads up on the weather and road condition, there was a concern that the roads to come were closed due to flooding.
DSCF4839Small.jpg

The 1st river crossing, sadly didnt have any water in, you should really come ride this road after it has rained, theres like 50 crossings like these.
DSCF4841Small.jpg

DSCF4842Small.jpg

The start of the pass, this sign is really old, note that the maximum speed is in mph ;D
DSCF4844Small.jpg

This pass was beautiful, the roads winding to the top and still no rain :D
DSCF4847Small.jpg

I stopped abit next to the road to have a break and let the bike cool down, it is only air cooled and wasn't built for this type of riding. But it had no problem doing it.
DSCF4850Small.jpg

DSCF4851Small.jpg

Riding along,lots of dirt highways here the road is in great condition, i didnt even see one car the whole way.
DSCF4852Small.jpg

DSCF4853Small.jpg

Here I rejoined another road leading to ladismith some nice scenery
DSCF4854Small.jpg

Almost there just about 20km to the end of the days riding, although i didnt want it to end yet :mad:
DSCF4855Small.jpg

DSCF4856Small.jpg

Destination reached I took the luggage of, this is where i was going to stay the rest of the week, doing rides in the area.
DSCF4857Small.jpg

Day 3 Seweweekspoort.

Today I was going to do the very scenic seweweekspoort and gamkapoort dam route.
DSCF4860Small.jpg

Into the poort i found a turn off, Hmm... where does this lead i wonder?
DSCF4862Small.jpg

Going through 5 small water crossings it led to this HUGE dam that no one seems to know of
DSCF4864Small.jpg

Thats my bike down there :biggrin:
DSCF4869Small.jpg

Definitely black bass territory :patch:
DSCF4867Small.jpg

The exit of the poort, I didnt feel like taking the route back yet, so i took this turnoff to the Gamkapoort dam
DSCF4871Small.jpg

There are gates at the front, but you are allowed in
DSCF4872Small.jpg

Real nice roads these, but they do have a steep drop to the right so no slip ups allowed I take it very easy through here.
DSCF4873Small.jpg

A came past a turn and on the other side there were 3 klipspringers in the road, by the time a got the camera out only one was left,but hey I got the pic so it counts! ;D
DSCF4877Small.jpg

Some more of these roads, if you are wondering where you can ride to ,come try these routes its really beautiful and fun to ride.
DSCF4879Small.jpg

DSCF4880Small.jpg

The road narrows and you start heading down again
DSCF4882Small.jpg

Another gate just before the dam, wonder what they are keeping inside all these gates? :patch:

And here it is, the klein karoo is at its driest in many years and the dam was very empty
DSCF4884Small.jpg

I found a route that led to the water
DSCF4885Small.jpg

Time to head back with more gravel roads, the bike was still going strong even though i was stopping allot less to let it cool of.
DSCF4886Small.jpg

Day 4 Trail Ride

Today I was going to do a trail ride through a couple of farms, a sort of recce ride fro the last day of the December "Forum small bike trip"

It was very technical and i loved it,  it did cross through 4 farms so you got to respect the area when riding here.
DSCF4887Small.jpg

DSCF4889Small.jpg

Lekker trails
DSCF4890Small.jpg

Most of these roads were last ridden in 1999 and were very overgrown
Yep the road goes through there
DSCF4895Small.jpg

DSCF4896Small.jpg

Anyone who likes trails will enjoy this trail,one the campsite at our farm opens I can take the dogs that come camping on this route.
DSCF4897Small.jpg

There grass rocks water,everything that you like, i didnt take allot of pics here as the riding was waaay to much fun.

Some of the rocky roads
DSCF4893Small.jpg

DSCF4894Small.jpg

The trail ended and i went back.

All in all I covered about 900km's the past days on my 125 riding through rain wind and sunshine it was great fun, I cant wait to do this again in December. Not even a puncture nor a single problem with the bike.

That concludes my 1st solo :D