My KTM Purchase and MItas EO9 feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distronium

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi all
I picked up my KTM 990 just over a week ago. Yay!!

What an awesome bike. Love it.

I had dealings with quite a few people in obtaining the bike and the accessories, tyres I bought etc. and would like to highlight the good/bad service I had with each of them. One of the benefits of this site is the input we give each other on products and also it’s a source of info on where to get good service etc.
Note: I am not affiliated with any of these businesses. Just happy with most of the service (except full throttle giving me the wrong rear sized heavy duty tube but the rest of the time they were extremely helpfull)

Nelspruit KTM: Hennie gave me a very good deal on a demo KTM. Could not resist the offer and voila! He was very helpful and everything ran smoothly. No hassles except I think deep down he did not want to part with the KTM (who does?) and accidently kept one of the keys  :ricky:. But it was couriered to me in short order.

Full throttle (Cresta): I know some have complained about service but to be honest I got good service from them…mostly. The only big issue and that’s frustrating is they never have stock!!! So it’s always a wait…I wanted tyres and they only had the front (mitas E09), no rear.

They did give me the wrong heavy-duty tube for the rear tyre even though I repeatedly asked them is it the right one.

So I still needed a rear tyre . Full throttle said it would be more than a week delay which is annoying cause the TKC rear was quoted at R1550 ………………..so I had to source that from somewhere else hence…

JustBikeTyre: Time is an issue and it’s a schlep to go to them because I’m on the Westrand (hence Full throttle is very convenient). Phoned them. They had an E09 rear and a TKC rear. TKC Was R1900 odd. EO9 R1650 so I bought that and 2 extra heavy duty tubes. Nomore there gave me excellent service and had the tyre and tubes delivered to my door. R45 delivery.  When I was in their workshop last year to fit anakees to my GS, I got good service form them too.

Bikegear: Have ordered from them before, the airhawk seats which are great by the way. Highly recommended. This time I ordered the 7L fuel bladder and the mini tyre pump. Both delivered in perfect condition a few days later.

Arno (see his  advert about usb chargers):  The problem with the mini pump is it needs more amps than what the GS or KTM charger gives. So I asked him to make up some connectors that can clip directly onto the battery. On the other end is a charger. Hey presto can use my pump.  Arno was real friendly and very helpful. They have been posted. Will give feedback once I have them.

Evolution Motorcycles: I saw an advert in gumtree for luggage. Jacques from evolution motorcycles who is in Benoni, gave me a good price on ATG soft luggage and Givi racks ( for luggage to rest against). Jaques braved traffic for 2 hours to come all the way to my house and deliver and attach the racks to my bike.

GPS Bandits (or Bandit GPS): I needed a spare RAM mount and Zummo 660 connecter. They cheaper than GARMIN online! By about R100 per item that I bought. If someone else is cheaper, let me know.

KTM raceworx: They did the 1000km service, attached the heated grips, fitted off road tyres and gps brackets for zumo 660. Also They did not like the way the heavy duty tube fitted on the rear rim so did a straight swap of the tube I brought with one that fitted better.  Today they fitted the steering damper for me as well. So far I have found them friendly and very helpful.

Q4U: I register the bike and put it on my name (could not do that in Nelspruit ofc since I’m in JHB) and also put my car on my name. They come and pick up the docs. Etc. and organize me a number plate.

I like convenience and would rather pay a little extra than have schlep. Have too much work during the day to take time off and so my time is valuable and if someone can save me the time then yay! I rather pay them some bucks to do it.

Hope this helps some of you in the future.

A note on the MItas EO9: I like the front. Not so sure I like the rear that much. Seems to move around allot on some surfaces and a few times I got off the bike to see if the tyre was flat. Although on other surfaces it was perfect!!

Now could just be, because it’s new and also my suspension setting is on comfort.  At 6’1” with full gear I am around 105kg. So I think I need heavier springs anyway.  On standard suspension settings the rear Pirelli scorpion also moved around a little.

Got caught in the rain on Saturday and was very impressed with the mitas in the wet on tar. I stuck to the speed limits but even around corners they felt real solid. In the Dry they do squirm a little and react a lot more too uneven road surfaces but nothing serious. In dry I would say the tkc and Karoo 2 (both on a gsa though) seem to have better tar manners. Never had them in the wet.  

Shoutouts:
• Chopperpilot for going to look at the bike for me in Nelspruit and giving feedback.
• Losper from Bloem  for trusting me enough to send the Steering damper  to me here in JHB so that I  can look at it before I paid for it.
• Everyone else that has given me advice on my questions over the last few weeks.

Many Thanks!