My Long Trip to Steytlerville

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyPorra

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
So it was that time of the year again, the invitation only get together of friends was taking place in a little town called Steytlerville. While sitting around downing cold drinks(January is alchool free month for me) and discussing the route and trip down with most of the JHB invitees, I had this idea that I had not had any time to myself on the bike for about 6 months, and with this in mind a trip plan sprung up, I would ride alone on some sort of finding myself trip starting in JHB - Orania, Orania - Sutherland, Sutherland - Steytlerville, Steytlerville - Wepener, Wepener - JHB.

So the first day arrives 08/01/30, I have everything packed and ready to leave, just need to feed the dogs and kit up and I'm on the road by 07:00, direction Heidelberg and onto Deneysville where I hit my first bit of dirt up to Heilbron, from here it was tar to Kroonstad, where I was under the impression that I would pick up dirt, but what disappointed and had to ride on tar all the way to Theunissen via Virginia.

DSC01418-1.jpg

After Theunissen I was sure that I was going to pick up the dirt again so stocked up on some supplies for a bush lunch, the riding was great and stopped at a place called Devon which consisted of a small holding under some trees for lunch, by now I had realized that I had covered nearly 400kms and had still not replenished my fuel supplies and my reserve light had been on for 50km. After lunch I headed for a town called Soutpan which had a Co-op which sold petrol, to my disappointment it was 13:10 and this Co-op closed for business between 13:00 and 14:00 for lunch.

DSC01422-1.jpg

Once full and having learned a valuable lesson that anything mechanical needs fuel from time to time I head off in the direction of Krugersdrif Dam and to Petrusburg where I again picked up the tar all the way to Luckhoff, here I stocked up with dinner supplies has I remembered that 3 years back there wasn't much in the line of a convenient store in the town of Orania, so with all my groceries I headed off on dirt and was totally surprised by what I saw has I rode into Orania, it seemed that there had been a population explosion, there was a fully stocked OK Bazaars, building supplies warehouse and I could see that there where a lot more houses and that they where being looked after(Grounds), something that was seriously lacking 3 years earlier.

DSC01432-1.jpg

I made my way to the Oranje river where they have a Woonwapark, where I found myself a camping spot, spent a quiet evening listening to a few locals discussing there little town and went to bed.

DSC01433.jpg

Next installment "The mighty Karoo"