Newbie looking for gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prototype

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR400
Hi y'all. i am brand new to the two wheeled community and it was the best choice i ever made  ;D i recently bought a KLR 650 and it's the first bike i ever owned.  but now i must stock up with some protective gear, so i have a few questions and would appreciate some feedback. i am going to use the bike for commuting in town but also want do long distance mixed terrain riding.

Helmet: MX and goggles, dual sport or road style? i have been riding for a few days with an MX helmet and the wind is a bit of a factor with the cap. is it any better with a road helmet? on the other hand i have heard that the goggles with MX helmets helps keep dust out better on dirt roads. dual sport helmets also have a cap but have a built in visor - how do they do with dust?

Jacket: leather or synthetic? i know it can get chilly so leather keeps out the wind, but how does it do in the rain? and how does synthetic material compare? and what is best on warm days?

Gloves: leather or synthetic? i have heard that leather gloves get slippery when wet  :eek: are synthetics better or not?

Boots: here i will go for MX boots

looking forward to many happy miles!