Non-standard 1200 GS tyre valves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenAnt

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I have a 1200GS with the tyre pressure monitors-it seems that somehow the tyre valves are not the same as the standard car valve.

Since it's difficult to pump the tyres at the garage (because of the long handle on the attachment thingie)I bought a right-angled adapter, which works fine on my car, and my mate's 1200GS (without the tyre pressure monitors). But does it work on my bike or any other 1200 with the monitors? Noooooo.....

Soon as you screw the thing down (even tightly) the air just rushes out!

So I went to the BMW garage with adapter in hand expecting to hear you need a special BMW adapter (sold for Gigabuck prices,doubtless)-but they don't!! They also didn't know about the problem-and no, it isn't just my adapter since it happens with others I borrowed.

I manage to pump my tyres using a home compressor which thankfully has a lever-type right angle attachment

So how one pumps your tyres at a garage escapes me. Looks like I'll have to do the man in shack thing and cobble something together using old bicycle pump bits.

Anyone out there with ideas???