Northen Namibia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JourneyMan

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Just an idea so far, for a trip that might happen or might not.

I have been delegated :shock: :? by the DR group I ride with to work out a trip through Namibia up to Katimo Mulilo.

Now I have followed all the Namibain reports done by the members and have a fairly good idea of where I want to go up to Opowu.

From there details/options are very uncertain.

Option 1

Go up to Ruacana and from there down the border with Angola to Rundu.
From the basic maps I could get on the net so far, there seems to be nice dirt options up to Rundu.

Option 2

From Opowu back "under" Etosha through Kamanjab, Otavi and Tsumeb/or Grootfontein. Looks like one could do nice dirt.

Uncertainties:

From Rundu to Katimo and Tsumeb/Grootfontein to Katimo I can't find any details on roads. Shows only 1 main road. Sure there must be others. (I will invest in a proper map soon - Not sure what yet :roll: )

Is it safe? Land mines etc.

Got this from the net from a 4x4 trip done in 2001.

Another low point (as result of my own stupidity) was the convoy system introduced by the Namibian Government to protect motorist travelling to and from the East Caprivi. The convoy system runs between Kongola (at the Kwando river) in the east to Divundi (at the Kavango river) in the west. Two trips per day, one at 09h00 and the other 15h00 starting on both ends and meeting/stopping midway at Omega village.

Maybe skip the Kavango Province and go through Botswana to the Caprivi?

Remember, the trip starts in Pretoria and can be done Botswana-Caprivi etc and end in Kuruman then Pretoria or vica versa.

Or am I expecting too much from a bunch of overweight moegoe's to complete a trip like this. We will be riding with back-vehicles.

My main concern is safety. Personal safety from outside forces. Not the roads.

Comments?