Off-Roading with expensive photography gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stofsuier

Puppy
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

I have a BMW650 that I love to take on long, hard off-road adventures! On these adventures I hit ditches and bumps, carve my way through drifts and sand patches. I even drop it accidentally at times- although not very often but  it does happen and can be expected.

I have another hobby- a Canon 650D, with a nice 18-135mm lens that takes awesome pics.

There is a problem. I have not figured out a way yet to carry my photography gear safely on these tumbler trips. One huge risk factor is vibration shock (from general riding or in a crash). Most of the time I actually bottom my bike's shock as I go about adventuring through strange lands- and loads of fun it is!- and I can imagine this kind stress not being recommended for the longevity of expensive photographic gear like DSLR's.

I would like to hear from other users how they carry their memory makers safely while not compromising ease of access too much. The idea is that if I see something to snap I want to lock my back brakes, pluck the camera out of it's protection and afterwards shove it back in it before spinning my back wheel off again. The ideal being to not have to worry about moisture, dust, shock, the elements etc. while I'm riding. I don't think that an ordinary camera bag gives nearly enough protection in this application and I am weary of something that seals well but is bulky and difficult operate.

Are there any solutions out there or do I have to stick to my lower grade compact?

Thank you much
S