On to ENATIS with no papers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@VT

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi All
I've just completed an interesting journey, that being to get a bike registered and licensed after having bought it with no papers, who knows how and when the bike in question came into the country (XR600R), probably a grey import, as it wasn't on the ENATIS system at all. This seemed like a really intimidating process before starting due to the lack of credible information relating to it, I therefore thought others may find it handy to know how this works.

When first embarking on this I was told it was a near impossible task which will be filled with frustration and most likely not the desired outcome i.e. getting it on to the ENATIS system. That I would be better off buying a set of papers for the bike, something that is on offer if you ask around. 

1. Go along to your local traffic department, and ask for the forms to put register a built up vehicle (that's the only way you can get it on) after having had them check on the system that your engine and chassis numbers aren't there.
2. They will give you the following;
2.1 A Request for confirmation of identifying marks,
2.2 An affidavit form,
2.3 A Gross Vehicle Mass certificate form
2.4 A weighbridge certificate form, and
2.5 A blue request to register a vehicle form.
3. If you're ready to get going with this, then request a temporary permit while there to allow you to take the bike the various places, that will cost you R48
4. Complete the affidavit where you basically state how you got the bike and  why  it was never registered i.e. only been used offroad and you want to get roadworthy and use it on public roads and detail the costs you have incurred in getting it to a roadworthy state, you have to attach the invoices supporting your expenditure. Once done take this to your local police station and get them to certify the lot, that is sign and stamp it.
5. Take the bike to your local police clearance office (Stikland in Cape Town), they complete the confirmation of identifying Marks form, which is confirming the engine and chassis numbers on the relevant form.
6. Get a weighbridge certificate. This you can get at a scrap metal place or some roadworthy places, I went to a Roadworthy place that does it, it cost me R120.
7. Get a Gross Vehicle Mass Certificate, that is what the maximum that the bike plus luggage and passengers may weigh. I had this done at a roadworthy place, they didn't charge me.
8. Complete the blue request for registration form.
9. Submit the whole lot to your local traffic department, they will assure that they will come back to you in 48 hours – reality is more like a week, they took a few days to get around to faxing it off to the Provincial Administration people and same then took about 48 hours to come back.
10. You then return to the traffic dept. when they contact you, and register (R68) and pay the licence fee (R132), they will give you your registration document and a request for police clearance, form and you need to buy a temporary permit again to allow you to take the bike to them.
11. Armed with this you return to the police clearance place and they check the engine and chassis numbers and issue you a Police Clearance Certificate.
12. You then get the roadworthy done (I paid R200), which was such a formality (hardly checked the bike) and armed with these two documents returned to the traffic dept. voila, once I got to the front of the queue, 5 minutes later I left with registration documents  and licence disc.

So there you have it it's not impossible, you can do the whole thing in one full day (two half days) of schlepping back and forth, and a week of waiting in between, so all told you can be good to go at a cost of R618 (R48 + R120 + R48 + R68 + R132 + R200) and a week and a half.